Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Book Reading #38: Coming of Age in Samoa

Chapter 13
Summary
This chapter presents a compare and contrast between the Samoan and American youth. Mead discusses the very different social environments between the two cultures. She discusses how American children have many more choices and double standards depending on who they are with. She discusses how much more the Samoan child knows about life, death and sex and how no Samoan child is spoiled. Another important point Mead makes has to do with strong feelings and the specialization of feeling. Samoans do not display these kinds of feelings to the same magnitude that Americans do. Mead also discusses education and how American children attend school and do work they cannot relate to their parents’ work, making the activities seem less useful. In contrast, Samoan children are put to work at an early age doing activities alongside the adults that visibly benefit the family/community.

Discussion
After all the readings we’ve done about the Samoan culture, it was interesting to read Mead’s analysis on the Samoan and American youths. I found the part about American children dreading school since they did not see its purpose to be an interesting part. I remember dreading school as a child but being much more interested in work at home where I could help my mom. Then my parents introduced me to money and started giving me money when I made the A-Honor Roll, and I finally found a purpose for school. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment