Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ethnography Results Week 5

Sweet Eugene’s House of Java

Friday March 4, 2011
9:00-11:00pm

Quantitative
Totals for the evening:
I noticed only 2-3 people who fit into the older age group. The rest appeared to be college students.
Order drink to go: ? (I wasn’t in a good place to view this)
On Computer: 17
Reading book/ doing homework: 8 (defined as having book and/or spiral and pencil)
Working with computer and book: 7
Visiting: 19 (some of these appeared to have the intention of studying)
Main goal to eat: 6  (these people read a book or used their computer until food arrived. Then they ate and left)
Eating and visiting: 2 (they were eating but that did not appear to be the main goal based on how long they stuck around afterwards)
Playing cards: 4

Collected times for people who left (x means I don’t know when they arrived):
X – 10:00 (2 people eating)
X – 10:00 (2 people eating)
X – 10:18 (4 visiting)

 (A LOT of other people came in or were already there when I started and did not leave before me. I’d say 30+ people who were there at 9:00 were still there at 11:00. It was also harder to pinpoint when other groups left due to my location.)

Qualitative 
Image taken from campaignkerusso.org

My location
I was in a spot at the very back of the coffee shop next to the back exit. I couldn’t see the front very easily, so my results were a little different this week. I also wasn’t in the best spot to watch a great number of people without looking obvious.

The Employees
This time there was only one employee manning the counter when I ordered my drink. I’ve noticed the employees haven’t asked me if I want my drink in a glass since Week 1. It seems most people get plastic cups now unless they’re getting a hot coffee. I wonder if this is to cut back on cleaning.

The Experience
I sat in a new spot this week and began the evening by working with my group on the second project. It was the first time I was at Sweet Eugene’s experiencing the environment as a study environment rather than a people-watching environment.  The experience was actually fairly productive. Paola pointed out that the lighting was a little bad for working in a notebook, which I totally agree with. I probably wouldn’t go to Sweet Eugene’s to read unless I was confident I could find a table next to one of the brighter lamps. We also had to clean off a table to get a table near an outlet. Something else I noted was that the Internet would slow down periodically throughout the night – perhaps because of all the people with computers?

The customers
Sticking around for a long time
Too many people to recall stuck around for a long time, many of which were there before I started observing and did not leave until sometime after me. I also fell into this category of people sticking around for a long time. I met with Alyssa and Paola for three hours before doing my ethnography for two.

Trusting Customers
This week was the first week in which I noticed a girl hesitating to leave her bag and purse unattended. The guy who was with her said, “You can bring it with you if you want.” She decided to leave it.

Using Internet from the car
I noticed one guy sitting out front in his car with a laptop in his lap from 10:15-10:37. The guy in the passenger seat went inside, ordered a drink and came back out around 10:30.

Playing Cards
I also noticed a group of 4 playing cards up near the front. I was really excited to realize that I knew one of the guys. I believe he goes to Sweet Eugene’s fairly often, and he has agreed to let me interview him. I’ll likely include that in next week’s results.

Differences from last week
There were a lot more people here than I had seen before. The place was packed to the point that a couple sat at the bar seats in the middle of the shop where I have never seen people sit before.

No comments:

Post a Comment