Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Book Reading #21: Design of Everyday Things

Chapter 7
Summary
This final chapter in some ways summarizes the book as a whole. It discusses seven principles for transforming difficult tasks into simple tasks, reminds the readers of models and mapping and discusses constraints. Norman also writes about standardizing design when something cannot be designed without difficulties and how certain things actually need to be designed to be difficult. Norman also discusses automation and writes about the gradual automation of both the different styles and tools used over the years in writing.

Discussion
Something that confused me in this chapter was the mention of POET in the first sentence and throughout this final chapter. Perhaps I just never noticed it anywhere else or maybe it actually wasn’t mentioned before this chapter, but it threw me off for the first few pages of chapter 7 until I realized he was referring to the old title of this book.

I think the part I found most interesting about this chapter was the section about how doors at a school for handicapped children have the latches at the very top of the door to prevent children from going outside alone. While I think it could be dangerous in certain circumstances (and I’m not sure I’d be tall enough to reach the latch), it is interesting that this design was proposed and accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment