Saturday, February 12, 2011

Ethnography Results - Week 2

Ethnography Results Week 2
Sweet Eugene’s House of Java

Friday February 11, 2011
5:00-7:00pm

Quantitative
7 people appearing over the age of 30 were there at some point. The rest were younger looking.
Totals for the evening:
Order drink to go: 4
On Computer: 12
Reading book/ doing homework: 20 (defined as having book and/or spiral and pencil)
Working with computer and book: 4
Visiting: 14
Main goal to eat: 3 (these people read a book or used their computer until food arrived. Then they at and left)

Collected times for people who left (x means I don’t know when they arrived):
X – 5:25 (3 girls talking)
X – 5:34 (older group talking)
5:14 – 5:34 (couple talking)
5:44 – 6:28 (2 guys eating)
X – 6:01 (girl on computer)
X – 6:10 (guy on computer at the counter)
X – 6:42 (on computer)
5:52 – 6:49 (book)
X – 6:55 (computer)
X – X (couple talking)
X – X (computer and book)
(A lot of other people came in during the time I was there and never left.)

Qualitative 
My location
Near the center of the large room, allowing for a view of everyone in the large room that was in front of me and limited view (don’t want to look too obvious) of the area behind me. I also had partial view of the smaller room where the couches were.

The Employees
Upon arriving, my fiancé, Jesse, and I went straight to the counter to order. When I asked what was in the Iced Chai, the employee made a point about the secretiveness of the business. He also admitted that he did not like tea so he couldn’t really tell us whether it was good or not. I ordered the iced mocha.
A blond employee came over while the other made my drink. Jesse asked them to whip him up whatever was good. The blond asked, “Do you like oreos?” The other, already done making my drink, said, “You do today.”

A different employee came to clean some of the tables that were left dirty. She didn’t bother anyone who appears to have empty mugs on their table.

The customers
To clean or not to clean
Of all the people I saw, three groups were made of people over the age of thirty. All those groups left their tables dirty while everyone else put their cups where on a tray at the counter to be cleaned. Whether this is due to negligence or just not knowing what to do, only time will tell.

Popular tables

4 tables that were occupied by one person or group were occupied by a different person or group by the time we left, leading me to believe that these tables are popular though I’m uncertain why. 3 of the tables were up against walls while the last was out in the open.

One purchase or multiple?
Of everyone I saw, only one girl appeared to have gone back multiple times. She had 2 coffee cups and a plate with a half-eaten muffin on it.

Enjoy the environment or shut it out?
I noticed one person using headphones for much of his time at Sweet Eugene’s.

Trusting customers
I noted at least eight customers put their bags and computers down and leave them unattended for 5+ minutes to go order or take a phone call or use the bathroom

Searching for seclusion
Focusing only on the people in front of me (about 10-15 depending on when), about ½ of the groups took to tables or seats that did not have someone right beside them. One girl walking with two other people asked as she passed, “Where do you want to sit?” A guy in the group replied, “Preferably away from people.”

Sticking around for a long time
One guy who had been at Eugene’s since I arrived moved his computer from one table to another that was beside a wall to plug in his computer. This happened an hour into my visit and tells me he had been there for a long time. He left a few minutes before I did.

Three other people stuck around the entire time we were there. One appeared to be doing homework and had only one mug on her table. She had a computer and books. The other two sat at a table next to a window and talked the whole time. Jesse and I left before they did.
From Sweet Eugene's Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment