Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ethnography Proposal – The Trial Run – Mall Kiosks

I plan to work with Alyssa Nabors and Paola Garza, but for the first week we plan to each try our own ideas individually to see what kind of data we can gather. We will then post a final, complete proposal Thursday February 10 outlining what we decide to do as a group.

For this trial week, I’m going to sit on benches at the mall and watch the interactions between the kiosk vendors and the shoppers. I plan to see how the vendor tries to get the customers’ attention and what works and what doesn’t. I’m also interested to see how the shoppers react. I want to see if they flat out ignore the vendor, say ‘no’ nicely, say ‘no’ rudely or just flat out avoid them. Do the crowds of shoppers part like the sea?

To study them I intend to sit on benches near the mall kiosks or stand near them.

Quantitatively, I plan to see just how many shoppers react in certain ways (ignore, feign interest, buy the products, etc) and how many vendors use different techniques (spray the people with perfume, drive a little remote control car around to catch attention, stand around, etc.).

Qualitatively, I’ll be watching to see what works for the shoppers and vendors (how well does saying “no” to the vendor vs. ignoring them work, how well does having the vendor just stand around vs. interact with the customers work). Perhaps even patterns regarding time will play a part. Maybe the vendors will try harder at the beginning of their shift rather than at the end or vice versa.

As far as how I will interact with the shoppers and vendors, I will likely just be an observer. Or if I see a vendor trying especially hard but making no sales, perhaps I’ll go right up to them and buy their product. Maybe.

I’m not sure what mall kiosks currently exist at the mall, but I plan to observe 2-3 kiosks, preferably with vendors that use different techniques to promote their product. To better assure I see the same vendors, I plan to go during the same time each week and one of the days on which I observe will definitely have to be Saturday since the mall is busier then.

1 comment: