Saturday, February 19, 2011

Ethnography Results Week 3

Sweet Eugene’s House of Java
Friday February 18, 2011
4:52-6:52pm

Quantitative
5 people appearing over the age of 30 were there at some point. The rest were younger looking.

Totals for the evening:
Order drink to go: 4
On Computer: 8
Reading book/ doing homework: 6 (defined as having book and/or spiral and pencil)
Working with computer and book: 2
Visiting: 16 (some of these appeared to have the intention of studying)
Main goal to eat: 2 (these people read a book or used their computer until food arrived. Then they ate and left)
Eating and visiting: 4 (they were eating but that did not appear to be the main goal based on how long they stuck around afterwards)

Collected times for people who left (x means I don’t know when they arrived):
X-5:04 (1 visiting with group of 4)
X – 5:08
X – 5:09 (guy visiting with another on the couch)
X – 5:12 (computer)
X – 5:12 (three older people visiting)
X – 5:27 (2 girls visiting – laughing really loud)
X – 5:29 (guy and girl visiting)
X – 5:49 ( 2 visiting with group of 4)
X – 6:00 (2 visiting)
X – 6:07 (2 guys studying together)
X – 6:12 (computer)
5:34 – 6:16 (studying)
5:37 – 6:34 (visiting outside)
X – 6:51 (homework/computer)
5:46 – X (Guy on computer, then meeting up with other guy later in the evening)
X – X (Girl first visited with a group of 4, then they all left and she remained to work on computer)

 (Several other people came in during the time I was there and never left.)

Qualitative
Image taken from Sweet Eugene's Facebook page
My location
Near the center of the large room, allowing for a view of everyone in the large room that was in front of me and limited view (don’t want to look too obvious) of the area behind me. I also had partial view of the smaller room where some couches were.

The Employees
This time there were three employees, one of which I recognized as the blond guy from last week. The other two were girls and one seemed to be training the other. There was a short line when we got there, so we didn’t get to interact with them as much this time. My fiancé did go get a second drink and asked if the $.50 discount (on refills) could be used on a different coffee and they said yes.

Getting the word out through messages on the tables

Under the glass of our table I noticed a paper asking people to vote Sweet Eugene’s as Best BCS Coffee Shop. Last week I noticed the paper invited people to like Sweet Eugene’s Facebook page. I’m curious to see how often this changes.

The customers
To clean or not to clean
There were two groups of people over the age of thirty. Both these groups left their tables dirty. This matches what I observed last week.

I also noticed that a louder group of people under the age of 30 left their stuff on their table. However, one stayed behind and moved to a different table. Then when she ordered food (more food? – I’m not sure whether she ate with the group or not), she cleaned off the group’s table. This occurred about 30 minutes after the rest of the group had left.

Popular tables

4 tables that had appeared popular last week were popular once again this week. 2 couches in the area back behind me also seemed to be popular, each having 2 different sets of guests use them during the evening.

One purchase or multiple?
I noticed 3 different girls go back for second drinks (one of which might have gone for a second meal).

Trusting customers
I noted nine customers put their bags and computers down and leave them unattended for 5+ minutes to go order or take a phone call or use the bathroom

Sticking around for a long time
This week did not have as many people as last week, but I still did note one girl who stayed the whole time (first she sat with a group visiting and then she moved to a smaller table by a window and ate and worked on her computer).

Another girl who was there when I got there stayed until about the time I left. She was always working on a computer, first with another girl and then by herself.

Coming to meet/work with a group
I noticed a lot more group interaction this week and people meeting up at Sweet Eugene’s to work. Five different groups of people met up during the two hours I was there and 2 -3 other groups were already there when I arrived. I distinguish these groups from the groups visiting because they had moments when they were quietly working and they all had either books or computers out.

The Atmosphere
There were less people here this week which gave me more time to appreciate the atmosphere. Windows line one side of the building, allowing for an open feel. However, the smaller rooms allow for a cozy atmosphere and several walls act as dividers in the larger room to allow for a sense of seclusion while still giving the customers a view of the outside.

The smaller crowds allowed for the crowds that were there to be a little more open. Two groups seemed to be talking louder than I recall from last week and I noted two people singing along with the background music during the night.

Differences from week 2
There seemed to be a lot less people this week, and the ones who came in did not seem to stay as long as those that came in the week before. I did not recognize any faces aside from one of the employees.

I’m guessing there were less people around because of the Baseball and Softball games Friday night. If I’m right, then next week might also be less busy but the following week (March 4) may be busier since I don’t think there are any games that Friday.

I also noticed – now that the weather is better – that people went outside more. I noticed three girls with Bibles possibly having a Bible Study outside and a guy who sat smoking on a bench outside for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment